Please register or login to view the chart


Disability Living Allowance ( DLA )-Tax free benefit -helps with extra costs of looking after a child who needs help to look after themselves or move around because of a disability or health condition From June 2013 – you cannot claim unless you are under 16 Paid to a child’s parent or a person who looks after the child as if they are a parent Child must have needed help for 3 months and be expected to need help for atleast a further 6 months Has care and mobility components Paid as long as care and mobility needs exist It will be affected if the person goes into hospital or care/residential accommodation that is state funded.Complete statement at the end of DLA form DWP decision maker may ask for a medical report How to complete the report – guidance available at

Personal Independent Payment ( PIP )-For working age people PIP gradually replacing DLA for people aged 16-64 Helps with the extra costs arising from a long term condition -
○ ill- health
○ disability expected to last 12 months or longer To qualify person must have needed help for 3 months or more and be reasonable likely to need help for the next 9 months
( although claim can be submitted for PIP during the 1st 3 months of having help needed ) PIP and DLA cannot be given at the same time Has two components (1) daily living (2) mobility PIP is based on how the condition affects the person – not on the condition itself Not affected by income or savings , not taxable and people can get it whether they’re in or out of work.DLA will remain for children up to age 16 and those in receipt of DLA who aware aged 65 or over on 8/4/2013 and who continue to satisfy the entitlement conditions but no new claims can be made.

By phone- form and booklet are then sent Claimant sends the form + supporting evidence like
○ copies of clinic letters
○ notes or a care plan Claimants are asked to provide details of the health professional best placed to provide evidence ATOS and CAPITA have been appointed by the DWP as Assessment Providers DWP makes the final decision based on evidence , assessment report and the form completed by the claimant.Patient should complete forms to support their claim using information that they have to hand


Employment Support Allowance ( ESA )-People are assessed to see if they are eligible and if so they should be called for further assessment which can be anything from 3 mts to 3 yrs Claimants with most severe conditions will not be called for assessment Placed in one of two groups if found eligible 
○ Work related Activity group
○ Support group ( more ill and severely disabled people ).Call job center to start a claim Need to provide medical evidence until DWP makes a decision on their claim – must also complete ESA450 self assessment form During assessment paid same as if they are claiming job-seekers allowance In severe illness -disabilities DWP can decide to give benefits during assessment phase only All others attend F-to-F Work Capability Assessment ( WCA ) conducted by a health-care professional.Fit note to support ESA claim required until DWP makes a decision on their claim DWP will write to GP and patient once a decision has been made No further fit notes needed unless patient decides to appeal the decision If appeal is unsuccessful- only issue further fit notes if their condition worsens significantly or they develop a new condition
.Health-care professional from Centre of Health and Disability 
( CHDA ) assessment may call you for more information ( pts give consent as part of their claim and you do not need to seek additional consent ) Patients may occasionally ask you to contribute some information some for ESAA50 form If claim solely for cancer -ESA50A -pts fill upto page 5 and sign the declaration and then ask their chosen healthcare professional / cancer specialist to complete the section ” Cancer treatment ” at the end of the form CHDA may ask you to fill an ESA 113 or FRR2 form if they require further medical evidence to decide if a F-to-F assessment or to help inform the F-to-F assessment ( you can fill from medical records- further separate examination not required )

Income support-Income related benefit that can be paid to people who work less than 16 hrs / week ( on average ) and are on a low or no income with little or no capital and avings Any income , capital or savings that a partner has will be taken into account Eligible groups may include
○ carers
○ lone parents with children under 5
○ pregnant women
○ sick and disabled who may need money to top up Statuary Sick Pay

Jobseekers Allowance- Paid to unemployed people ( or who work less than 16 hrs on average/ week ) who are available and actively looking for work Attend regular work-focused interviews and provide proof that they are looking for work
 Two types of JSA

○ Contribution based – paid up to 6 mts to people who have paid enough NI contributions , usually in the previous 2 tax yrs ( exceptions apply )
Paid at a single rate and is paid first but can be topped up by income based JSA if that is higher

○ Income based- paid if income , capital and savings ( including partners ) is low enough
 Job centre makes the decision.Patient cannot get JSA if they are sick or unable to work- they should claim ESA or Universal credit If they are able to work and become entitled to JSA they can have up yo 3 periods of temporary sickness / year where they are unable to work due to illness Patient may request a fit note for Jobcentre Plus if they are unable to meet JSA conditions due to ill health Complete the fit note as if your patient was employed

Universal Credit-Payable to people in and out of work Replaces 6 main out of work benefits with one simple monthly payment-
○ income based JSA
○ income-related ESA
○ Income support
○ Child Tax Credit
○ Working Tax Credit
○ Housing Benefit Introduced since 2013 via Jobcentre available to all single jobseekers UC is now being rolled out to all type of claimants including families , people who are limited in the work they can do by their health conditions or disabilities and carers Terminally ill people can also make claims.Sick note if they claim UC on health grounds If working but restricted due to health conditions patient may ask for evidence of their health condition Patient would be referred to CHDA for Work Capability Assessment as for ESA Fit notes required until DWP makes a decision No further fit notes required unless the patient wishes to appeal he decision If appeal unsuccessful – only issue further fit notes if their condition worsens significantly or they develop a new condition

Attendance Allowance-Tax free benefit which helps towards the extra costs faced by people or 65 or State Pension Age
( whichever is higher ) who have disability and need extra help with personal care Payment not affected by income or if the person works To qualify-must have needed help for 6 months ( unless terminally ill ) and be over 65 Has higher and lower levels.May be asked to complete the statement at the end of the AA claim form Medical report may be asked for by the decision maker based on your medical records and knowledge of the patient.

Carers Allowance- To people 16 or over if they spend atleast 35 hrs / week caring for a person receiving
○ DLA care component at the middle or highest rate OR
○ PIP -daily living component at either rate OR
○ Attendance Allowance/ Constant Attendance Allowance OR
○ Armed Forces Independence Payment.Carers Credit-National Insurance credit that helps build qualifying yrs for State Pension Helps ensure there are no gaps in a carers NI record Awarded to people who spend atleast 20 hrs/ week caring for one or more people who receive
DLA care component at the middle or highest rate OR
○ PIP -daily living component at either rate OR
○ Attendance Allowance/ Constant Attendance Allowance OR
○ Armed Forces Independence Payment
 Alternatively if someone spends + 20 hrs/week caring for one or more people who do not claim one of these benefits – they may still be able to get Carer’s Credit – they would need to fill ” Care Certificate ” part and ask a health / social care professional to sign



Understanding benefits from CABA

GOV UK website

GOV UK Publication- The benefits system a short guide for GPs available from

You can refer patients to the Citizens Advice section on benefits via

Money advice service has a section on the changes that are taking place

Age UK has a section on benefits and entitlement is an independent website offering free advice and guidance on the UK benefits system

An alphabetical index of available benefits is available via Turn 2 us website

 The benefit system : a short guide for GPs Department of Work & Pensions March 2018 Benefits Citizens Advice –


Related Charts:

Add Your Comments

Your email address will not be published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A4 Medicine  - Search Less and Learn More

Welcome to the A4 medicine community where we are constantly working to provide exceptional educational material to primary health care professionals. Subscribe to our website for complete access to our A4 Charts. They are aesthetically designed charts that contain 300 (plus and adding) common and complex medical conditions with the all information required for primary care in one single page that can help you in consultation/practice and exam.

Additionally, you will get complete access for our Learn From Experts : A4 Webinar Series in which domain experts share the video explainer presentation on one medical condition in one hour for the primary care. And you will also get a hefty discount on our publications and upcoming digital products.

We are giving a lifetime flat 30% discount to our first thousand users, discount code already applied to checkout.